A slightly different phishing email today, that pretends to be a notice from your email provider saying that you need to update your email . All the ones I have seen are addressed to different names at different email domains. Quite by coincidence, I have just moved servers and have spent all night configuring the new one and have had hundreds of error report and configuration change emails, both from new server & the old server, warning me about potential issues. If I hadn’t been thinking straight, I could easily have fallen for this one, as just one more amongst the hundreds needing me to do something or change a setting somewhere on the server. I actually did have several emails from the cpanel configuration daemon warning me that I had not set appropriate limits for several email accounts and they were almost up to their limit.
The email looks like:
From: Mail Server <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun 24/01/2016 10:02
Subject: E-mail-Account Update! ( email@example.com )
Your E-mail “firstname.lastname@example.org” Needs Extension !!
95% Space USED 5 % Space FREE
E-mail sent from email@example.com will temporarily not be delivered as Disc quota exceeded 95% remaining 5% unused space.
For this reason all incoming email with high massage size above 10kb will be discarded until your email quota has been extended.
CLICK HERE To automatically increase your email disc quota by 1GB to avoid account suspension.
Attention: Failure to do this will lead to Email Storage abuse and account termination.
Mail Service Team.
This notification was sent to firstname.lastname@example.org; Don’t want occasional updates about subscription preferences and friendly suggestions?
Mail service!., 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA
TO REPORT ABUSE CLICK HERE
The links behind all the links go to http://email@example.com, where they have set up rather a clever attempt to get your email log in details. They already have your email address and want the password to go along with it.
The site does a fairly good imitation of a Cpanel page with a processing bar that gradually increases to 100%. The name on the page is dynamically created based on the email address in the referral. The phishers have gone to quite a lot of trouble and effort with this one. Luckily Internet Explorer smart filter knows about it & warns you with a bright red Address bar in your browser. Unfortunately Chrome & Firefox haven’t caught up yet.
We all get very blasé about phishing and think we know so much that we will never fall for a phishing attempt. Don’t assume that all attempts are obvious. Watch for any site that invites you to enter ANY personal, log in or financial information. It might be an email that says “you have won a prize” or “sign up to this website for discounts, prizes and special offers”
Please read our How to protect yourselves page for simple, sensible advice on how to avoid being infected by this sort of socially engineered malware.
All of these emails use Social engineering tricks to persuade you to open the attachments or follow the links that come with the email. Whether it is a message saying “look at this picture of me I took last night” and it appears to come from a friend or is more targeted at somebody who regularly is likely to receive PDF attachments or Word .doc attachments or any other common file that you use every day. Or whether it is a straight forward attempt, like this one, to steal your personal, bank, credit card or email and social networking log in details. Be very careful when unzipping them and make sure you have “show known file extensions enabled“, And then look carefully at the unzipped file. If it says .EXE then it is a problem and should not be run or opened.